No matter what your thoughts are about exercising there is a way around them. Here is an idea that will keep your pain down and get your heart rate up. Once you do this for a while you will be ready to tackle other types of exercise.
First: Find your favorite music with a fast beat. This could be anything. Try to get at least 20 minutes of this music.
Grab a chair: Preferably one without arms but any chair will do.
Turn on the music and get going.
- Wave your arms in the air.
- Imagine holding a bar (like those for weight lifting) and press your arms up and down quickly.
- Arms to your sides, elbows bent at a 90 degree angle and bring forward and back quickly. (Do not take your elbows or arms past your shoulders when coming back so you do not pull any muscles).
- Arms out to your side, elbows bent at a 90 degree angle and push up to the ceiling and back down to your starting position.
- Arms straight out to your sides and bring them forward to clap your hands and back out to your sides. (Again don't let your arms go back any further than your shoulders.)
- Same starting position but now bring your arms up and clap over your head and back to the starting position.
- Punch forward: Alternating arms
Now for the legs:
- Alternate kicking each foot up. Lift your foot up to be even with your knee (or as high as you can comfortably do)
- Toe taps out to the side. Alternate the right and left leg.
- Knee lifts. Alternating your knees bring one at a time up to your chest.
The truth is you just need to get going so your heart rate comes up. Do what is fun. Here is a video that can give you a workout. This video is geared towards Seniors BUT even if you are younger there is a reason you cannot do the "traditional" aerobic exercise so start out with this. Make this your workout!!! To view the video click HERE.
Remember if it hurts it's okay. If it causes pain don't do it...you can always "alter" the exercise to YOUR body and abilities!!
Please consult your physician before starting any exercise program.