Thursday, December 27, 2012

Leftover goodies: After the Holidays



What is a person supposed to do after the holidays?  You gain 20 lbs from Thanksgiving through the New Year just because of the holidays....now it's after the holidays and what are you supposed to do.  




I am writing this blog on this subject because as I write, two days AFTER Christmas, I have a plate of leftover desserts sitting next to my computer that I am "snacking" on and thinking to myself, "I can't wait until 2013!"  Then I remember a conversation I had with a man at the office today where we discussed the fact that we cannot wait until the holidays are over so we can get back to "normal."  We then laughed and said since New Years Day is on Tuesday this year we were going to wait until the following Monday to get back on track....but until then all is fair!  
picture compliments of 123RF

I mean if you are going to eat one cookie, why not eat two.  If you had two cookies yesterday than why not two cookies today plus a piece of pie and, okay, I've already destroyed any chance of not gaining weight so I'm going to live it up....until next year. 

Here's the problem as I see it:
  • I know that during the holidays everyone loves to bake.  Let's be honest; it's cold outside so turning the oven on gives your home that "cozy" feeling so we bake.
  • When we bake we think, "ahhhh I should bake my neighbor's cousins friend who tossed my newspaper up on my porch ten months ago a batch of cookies.  I can't bake them cookies without baking my neighbor and their cousin cookies.  While I'm at it I'll bake my pastor, my doctor, my dentist, my newspaper delivery boy, my postal person, my vet...the list goes on and on and on.
  • Now everyone who bakes KNOWS there is always one or two batches that just aren't "good enough" to give out so they are eaten.....by you.
  • Now let's take the pastor for example; let's say he has 500 people in his congregation; 1/3 are men (very little chance of them baking cookies for their pastor), 1/3 are children (we are going to use a small number from this group) and 1/3 are women.  We have 2/3 of 500 (330 people) who could bake cookies.  Let's take that number and divide in half now we have 165 people.  Just to be safe let's divide that in half again:  82 people.  Let's assume that 82 people bake and give their pastor one dozen cookies....that is 984 cookies.  Now this may seem extreme but I wanted to get the point across....it is a wonderful gesture to bake sweets for those we love.
  • Now imagine being one of those "loved" people that others want to bake for you.
picture compliments of 123RF
Don't get me wrong.....I love when people bake homemade goodies for me.  I have friends, family and clients who all do this and everything is absolutely wonderful and to be honest when I receive "a few" cookies I am a bit disappointed because I won't have enough for later.  When I receive a dozen cookies I wonder how long it will take me to finish them.  


I live my life in moderation...except for a few weeks out of the year.  I know I am going to need to change this so I have thought of a few suggestions:  I am not going to not enjoy my goodies, I'm just not going to enjoy them ALL so I am going to take 25-50% of them (depending on how many there are) for myself and my family. 

  • I am not going to buy "snacks" to eat before the holiday dinner...I'm going to share my goodies with my family.
  • I am going to take some of my goodies to parties that I attend.
  • I am going to put my goodies in baggies and go down to my local food kitchen and them out to the homeless.
  • I am going to put my goodies on a plate and take to my local Veterans Association.
  • I am going to put my goodies on a plate and take to an organization, I support, that has volunteers and share with them.
compliments of 123RF
This way I get to enjoy the goodies that were given to me, not over-indulge on them and share with the community in which I live in and support.

If you have any other suggestions PLEASE share them here.

Like Premier Back Rehabilitation Center on Facebook or visit their website  (map it)

Just want to add:  123RF has some of the best images you can find!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?